Tuesday, March 20, 2012

All Green for St. Patty!

How lucky did YOU feel on St. Patrick's Day?


Although we live in Canada....with a last name like O'Connor and a husband's ancestry straight from Ireland, we do not escape the celebrating of St. Patty's Day!  This very fun day of everything green is just simply an excuse for us to celebrate with things out of the ordinary.  Every year I make sure we all wear something green, eat green food, and make my husband feel like its a special day for him.  Last year we happened to be away on our annual ski holiday in Sugarloaf, Maine and I made sure to bring some silly accessories for the kids to wear...including crazy glasses, necklaces, bow ties and green wigs.  Its pretty easy to make it crazy for us and the kids...even without the beer drinking! 


This year I realized that I might just have a little bit of time to do something extra fun.  So when I came across the TomKat Studio free printables for St. Patrick's Day I knew exactly what I would do.  A mini dessert table!  My husband, Wayne, decided to cook a traditional Irish meal, and I worked putting together a simple table of cute little desserts.  


When I decided the week before that I wanted to celebrate with sweets, I sent an email to my friend and baker, Nadine, and she promised an all green layered cake......which was fabulously moist and delicious!
And even though the cake is all gone, we have kept our little wee leprechaun sitting in his pot of gold.


Kim's free printable collection was adorable.....the "Happy St. Patrick's Day" art print, cupcake toppers and "lucky" banner were the perfect accents.  I also made a pom pom garland after seeing the idea on pinterest.





I promised the kids green cupcakes, so I quickly made two batches of different shades of green for mini stackable cupcakes and some traditional ones to hold the cupcake toppers.  The striped liners were a favourite I ordered from Shop Sweet Lulu a while ago, and I was just waiting for the chance to use them.


When I came across the free printables by TomKat {in a post she had done for HGTV}, I also noticed a tutorial for sweet shamrock iron-on decals.  There wasn't time to order the cute green polka dot iron-ons so we made a trip to the fabric store and bought fabric, double-sided iron-on paper, and white t-shirts.  With the many craft ideas and tutorials posted on HGTV, Kim had included a perfect shamrock template.  It made resizing and printing the lucky clovers so easy.  My oldest daughter's close friend, Nadia, joined in on all the fun....even helping me trace the shamrocks.  
The kids loved their green t-shirts!  No pinching in our house!





Since it is still considered winter here in Halifax, Nova Scotia {you will notice the snow in the pictures!}, we were lucky to get a reprieve with some sun and warmer temps on Saturday.  It wasn't quite warm enough for tank tops, so the kids were very accomodating when I mentioned setting up and photographing outside!

Once the dessert table was photographed, it was time for all that silliness to take over!




p.s.

2 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the 4 of you...so sweet! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you all had a wonderful holiday :) May the luck of the Irish be with you always!

    ReplyDelete