Monday, August 1, 2011

{Charity Event} An Evening to Remember



Recently we were asked to attend a special evening to support the Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia.   

"Behind every person with Alzheimer's disease, there are people dedicated to help.  We invite you to join us and together we hope to make Alzheimer's a distant memory."

Many years ago, when I had first moved to Canada (in Calgary), I volunteered to canvas door-to-door to raise money for the Alzheimer Society.  It didn't end up being my favorite method of giving back to my community, but I was drawn to supporting the organization because my own grandmother had died from the disease.  Oma, as we called her, was one very strong lady.  I always thought of her as a force to be reckoned with, someone who made things happen, had opinions about everything and who lived life fully....if she loved you, you knew it...if she was angry, you knew it!

Since she lived in Brazil our visits were not frequent and I never had to witness the extreme changes in her as Alzheimer's took control.  My only reference comes from the stories my father tells.....and they only remind me of how difficult and sad this disease is...how it changes the people we love into people we do not recognize.  Oma is just one of many who suffered or is suffering from this disease.  There are others close to us...right now, who are struggling with the effects of Alzheimer's.  

When I began this project I knew that supporting the Alzheimer Society in some way had to make the list.  So when our friends told us about An Evening to Remember, we knew it would be a way to show our support.



The memorable evening was presented by the Fred George Foundation and held at Chateau Sur Mer, overlooking the beautiful Bedford Basin.  And although the weather didn't compeltely cooperate, the evening indulged us in luxury.  All the special touches of glamour didn't stop me from remembering why we were there...


"The Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia is dedicated to providing Help for Today and Hope for Tomorrow for Nova Scotians living with dementia and their families.  The Society's core services of information, referral, education and support would not be possible without the generous support of donors...."
                                                                       -Alzheimer Society Nova Scotia

For more information on the Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia

There is an Alzheimer Society in almost every major city.  You can find more information by visiting The Alzheimer Society of Canada or The Alzheimer's Association in the United States.  


******

Each year the Alzheimer Society of Nova Scotia presents the Alzheimer Duck Derby!

You can adopt a duck for $10 or a flock of 3 for $25.
Then watch your ducks race on September 24th, 2011 on the Waterfront at Bishops Landing.



I can't wait to see if my flock wins the race!


For more information on the Alzheimer Duck Derby and to adopt your ducks,
visit the site here.

p.s.
Thank you Judy and Bruce for making sure we knew about this special night.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya, my Grandmother had Alzheimer's as well. My Grandparents lived with us at the time so I really got to see the toll the disease took on my Grandma, Grandpa & my parents. Her and I were two peas in a pod, very close. When she was at the point of no longer able to communicate, her eyes would always light up when I came to visit her. I knew she was still there. It's a very unforgiving disease. My mom & I, when we lived in Calif. did the yearly memory walk. I really want to start up a walk here in Asheville. How fitting that the Alzheimer's Association color is purple ...my Grandma's FAVORITE color!!

    ReplyDelete