Friday, May 13, 2011

{Giving Back} HOT, HOT, HOT The Conservatory's Cabaret


A little while ago I was contacted by the new Director of Development at the Maritime Conservatory {Jane Hopgood}, asking if I would help with some brainstorming for their upcoming fundraiser.  When she told me the theme, Cabaret HOT HOT HOT!, I instantly thought of ideas for their event.




My three children all attend classes at the Conservatory, so there is a part of supporting them that feels obvious and natural.  But what drives me even more is the idea of helping to bring awareness to the Arts.    I grew up playing the cello, it was a world I loved being entrenched in, and I was lucky that I had the support from my parents to pursue that love for many years.  Lots of children don't have that same opportunity and if supporting the Conservatory can help raise the funds to eventually offer opportunities to children who otherwise wouldn't be exposed, I am all for it!

Since Jane already had the wheels turning on the annual event, we tried to come up with something that would add a little punch, a little WOW factor.  I have said before that a little giveaway can go a long way, so I got to work on an idea for the tables.

I designed a signature label, ordered sweet gold metallic boxes, and bought loads of caramel corn to put together an elegant, but fun little table giveaway for all 100 guests.



The most fun part of the project?.....I had lots of helpers!










With Jane's help and the enthusiastic participation of my two younger children, we were able to make a special treat box for each guest.






Since we had two events to attend the night of the Cabaret we had to divide our time, but we were thrilled to experience the entertainment!  
The Maria Osende Flamenco Company, Andrea Jeffrey, Peter Togni, and Eric Landry ensemble performed to a sold out audience.  They were all magnificent!


The evening raised over $11,000 for the Conservatory.
It was a pleasure to be involved and to get a chance to work a little behind the scenes.  We were even able to support the amazing performers and staff at the Conservatory by sponsoring a table for them to enjoy the evening.


For more information on ways to support the Maritime Conservatory
click here


p.s.
Stay tuned for postings on the Supportive Housing for Young Mothers Cabaret and the Sunday Supper

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you are doing!

    I just read a news article about you and you have so inspired me to get out there and do something besides just writing a cheque.

    All too often we ( or at least I) have a million different excuses of why I can't do things, not enough time, not enough money, what can one person really do?

    When I know I have the potential and completely understand that one person CAN make a difference. It's the ripple effect that just goes on and on and on....

    Well the ripple has reached me, and I'm on board. I will look to your Blog for inspiration and join you as you better the world and yourself!

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary-Ann, I am thrilled that you wrote and I love your enthusiasm. You are right.....you can make a difference. Perhaps we will get a chance to make a difference on something together......
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete