Sunday, May 8, 2011

Celebrating the Mothers in Your Life

Last night I attended a wonderful event/fundraiser for Supportive Housing for Young Mothers {SHYM}.  It was a very special event to be part of and a beautiful start to celebrating Mother's day.  More details about the event and my specially designed dessert table to come very soon.


Early in the week I had some thoughts on how to honor the women in my life who have played a special role of Mother.  If we are lucky we have not only the mother that raised us, but other mother figures who we cherish as well.  I am certainly one of the lucky ones.  

Growing up there were several women who loved me like their own daughter, all unique in the ways they cared and nurtured and celebrated me.  And as an adult those relationships have grown and I have been incredibly fortunate to find more special "mother" relationships.  With each philanthropic act I realize the power of support.  My feelings of commitment to giving back and getting involved with organizations that need help evolved from watching these women give in their own special ways.  

Women all over the world need love, support, education, resources, and a way to improve their lives.  
Today I am honoring the special mothers in my life with support to 

"Women for Women International envisions a world where no one is abused, poor, illiterate or marginalized; where members of communities have full and equal participation in the processes that ensure their health, well-being and economic independence; and where everyone has the freedom to define the scope of their life, their future and strive to achieve their full potential."
                                                           -Women for Women International vision

Currently, Women for Women International is featuring the stories of women from around the world.  You can select a story to share with a special mother in your life and support women around the world at the same time.

Women who are....
Resourceful, Ambitious, Generous,
Mothers to Many,
and 
Optimistic

for more information



p.s.
Happy Mother's Day to mothers everywhere...but especially to my own mother, and the special "mothers" in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment